What is a financial counsellor?

If you’re experiencing financial difficulty or feeling overwhelmed by debt you can contact a financial counsellor for help.

Financial counsellors are qualified professionals who provide free, independent and confidential information or advice.

Funding for this service is provided by both the federal government and state governments of Victoria and New South Wales.

What services can a financial counsellor provide?

They can help you to:

  • understand your rights and provide access to legal help
  • access assistance related to paying bills or fines
  • prioritise debts, develop budgets and money plans.

How do I contact a financial counsellor?

National Debt Helpline

Phone the National Debt Hotline on 1800 007 007 and they’ll connect you with a service in your state. You can also use the online chat function on their website or use the interactive map to find a face-to-face service near you.

Visit National Debt Helpline.

Salvation Army - Moneycare

Phone 1800 772 363 or visit the Salvation Army’s Moneycare website to learn more about their:

Rural Financial Counselling

Phone 1300 771 741 to speak to a Rural Financial Counselling service provider or visit Rural Financial Counselling to learn more about the support available.

Regional Small Business Support

Visit the Small Business Support page on the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environments website.


Visit the Financial Counselling page on the MoneySmart website.

Financial Assistance at Macquarie

If you’re currently experiencing financial difficulty and are a client of Macquarie, we may be able to assist you. For more information, please see Financial assistance.

Experiencing financial difficulty?

Resolve a complaint

Help and support